In the business of real estate ownership, whether for investment purposes or on your own home, one way to make money is to save money. In other words, catch problems long before they become expensive. Become the master inspector, or hire someone who is. Here are some items to look for.
- Water, water, water!!! Always watch for water anywhere in the home where it is not supposed to be. That could be drips under the sink, leaks around the shower or tub, leaky faucets, laundry room connection leaks, utility sink leaks in the garage, roof leaks big or small, and window leaks around edges or at slider seems. Only fire can do more damage more quickly than water.
- Natural gas or propane lines!! On a regular basis, check your home for any gas leaks. Make sure appliance connections are secure and tight, that range, gas water heaters, and gas forced air heat units are working properly. Have them inspected on an annual basis by a professional. Again, fire costs lots and lots of money. In the Phoenix Metro Area, an excellent vendor is Plumbing Medic.
- Health issues!! While it is seldom an issue in our very dry Arizona climate, black mold is a dangerous health issue. It grows in damp places. At all costs, do not let water leaks, no matter how small, continue. Find them early and get them fixed. Do not give mold a place to grow. Keep everything dry at all times. Here’s a self-testing resource.
- Structural issues!! Settling of the foundation or slab upon which the home or commercial building is built will usually show up with crack in walls or concrete. Watch for them, particularly on newer buildings or when purchasing a property. Remediation is usually expensive, but if caught early, you can save some serious money.
- Bugs, bugs, bugs!! Well, we are lucky here in Arizona. We do not have some of the bug problems in our environment that other northern or more humid states do. However, those termites can cause you all kinds of trouble if you don’t get rid of them fast. Always have your home checked at least once a year by a professional or become competent to check yourself. Another very helpful vendor is H & H Pest Control.
Of course, all of these functions are provided by our property management services to give you peace of mind. Call if we can be of service. 480-444-2511
Your AZ Property Management Guy – Hunter Stuart